This Christmas Tree Slat Sign Tutorial was previously shared on The Wood Connection Blog. The supplies to make this project were provided to me buy The Wood Connection.
I just love decorating for Christmas and this Christmas Tree Slat Sign was so fun and easy to make. You can purchase the supplies in their stores or if you are not local you can purchase the Slat Sign and Layered Christmas Tree online.
Christmas Tree Slat Sign
Supplies Needed: I have linked to where you can buy the supplies in their shop. If the needed item is not in their online shop I have included Amazon Links to help you find the product (I am an Amazon Affiliate)
Wood Slat Board
Wood Stacked Christmas Tree Pieces
Merry Christmas Vinyl (if you don’t have access to the vinyl you could use stickers, stamps or even rubon letters)
Christmas Scrapbook Paper
Paint (Ivory, Black Cherry, Burnt Umber, Yellow)
Mini Wax Wood Stain
Fine Yellow Glitter
Foam Paint Brushes
Glue (I used Mod Podge for the paper and Wood Glue to glue down the wood)
Let’s Get Started:
1. Sand all of your wood pieces and dust off the sawdust
2. Paint your wood pieces. I painted the entire slat board in Light Ivory. The star is painted yellow. On the tree pieces I only painted the edges because I was going to add paper to these pieces. The first, third and fifth piece have the edges painted in Light Ivory. The second and fourth piece is painted in Black Cherry, the trunk is painted in Burnt Umber.
3. Let the paint dry then send the edges of the slat board
4. Now we are going to stain the board. I think staining sometimes scares people a bit but it is quite easy. Using your foam brush (or a paper towel) wipe some stain onto your board.
Then using a paper towel wipe the stain off the board and wipe it around to make it look even. If you feel it is too much you can use a wet paper towel to tone it down a bit if needed.
You can see where I sanded the edges it gives a nice dark edge to the wood
5. Trace your scrapbook paper using your wood as a guide. Cut out the paper (cutting inside the lines) and glue it onto your wood. If you are still not sure how to do this, check out this great scrapbook paper to wood tutorial.
Here all of my paper is cut out and glued onto the wood
6. Now it is time to add the yellow glitter to the star. Put your glitter in a container, repaint your star so the paint is wet, press into the glitter, let dry. For a more extensive tutorial check out this great glitter tutorial.
7. Once everything is dry place everything on the slat board so you have an idea where you want it and glue it down (I used wood glue)
8. Let the glue dry for a bit then add your vinyl
I love how this project turned out an think the yellow glitter added a bit of bling to the project
So cute and easy!!
Have you started thinking about your Christmas decorations yet? I am getting everything prepped and ready to put up after Thanksgiving!