I took inspirations from my friends blogs Rae Gun Ramblings and Housewife Eclectic where they did a Top Best and Worst Book to Movie adaptations. Since I love movies and I love to read I thought I would feature my own Top Best and Worst Book to Movie adaptations.
In my lists below I will link to the movie and books on Amazon in case you want to check them out (I am an Amazon Affiliate)
Best Book to Movie Adaptations
I know there are a lot out there but these are my favorite!
1. Harry Potter Series – I adore the Harry Potter Book Series it is so magical and the stories really carried away my imagination – and though the Harry Potter Movies could not capture every little thing from the books they did a fantastic job of getting so much. Yes small things had to change here and there but I felt that they didn’t change too much and they kept as true to the books as they could. To be honest there were a few bigger things that changed throughout the movie but I felt they kept to the same story line. I think it helped that the movie makers worked with the author when making the movies. The books are so wonderful and magical and felt that same feeling throughout all of the movies.
2. Lord of the Rings – So I read Lord of the Rings books when I was younger – a long time before the movies came out and I did enjoy the books – but I LOVED the Lord of the Rings movie trilogy. Every movie changes a bit here and there but I thought the Lord of the Rings series really brought the books to life.
3.The Princess Bride – I love the Princess Bride book and actually read it after I watched the Princess Bride movie. The movie has always been a favorite of mine and I have loved sharing the movie with my kids – if you love this movie then you should check out the book as well. The book has me laughing as much as the movie did.
4. Narnia – Loved the Chronicles of Narnia books as a kid and I am loving the Narnia movies even more. I think they expanded the story in the movies and added more info but it is all based on what happened in the books and my kids and I love this series.
Worst Book to Movie Adaptation
Why I still enjoyed these movies I did not think they stayed in line with the books – like at all.
1. Eragon – I actually really enjoyed both the Eragon book and the Eragon movie but if you have read the book you will now how incredibly different the movie is – My kids who have never read the book love watching the movie with me but sometimes it is hard to watch with all of the changes. So I go into this one thinking it a completely different story.
2. Beautiful Creatures – I would have liked the Beautiful Creatures movie much more if I had not read the Beautiful Creatures book right before the movie – The book moved real slow for me so I was hoping that the movie would move things along quicker for me and it was doing a great job of it until there was a super huge plot change at the end and it totally threw me off. I think if I would have gone into it not having just read the book I would have enjoyed it more.
Adaptations I am still not so sure about
1. Hunger Games – I LOVE the Hunger Games book and while I did enjoy the Hunger Games movie it just didn’t do it enough for me – I felt too much was left out on the building of Katniss and Peeta’s relationship in the games. I am hoping for more in the second movie adaptation.
2. Twilight Series – I adore the Twilight books and enjoyed the Twilight movies but the first movie was a little bit too cheesy for me where the book felt more romantic – I really liked the latter movies – and felt they adapted the books to movies pretty good.
What are your Best and Worst Book to Movie adaptations??
Linking up to Broke and Bookish